General Statement of Duties: The Executive Director for Marketing and Integrated Communications will lead the institution’s communications, marketing, messaging, public relations and branding activity. The executive director will have the opportunity to re-envision the organizational structure and function of communications across the university with their team. The executive director is an innovative communications professional who will report directly to the president and work with other senior leaders to promote the university, increase its visibility, support its vision and goals, attract the best students, recruit high-quality faculty and staff, and motivate alumni and donors. He or she will oversee university communications, publications, and web, new, and social media, as well as the marketing and communications aspects of advancement, admissions, athletics, and graduate and continuing education. In addition, the successful candidate will play a significant role in community relations.
Key Goals and Expectations:
- Using existing documents and additional research as required, develop and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan that includes measureable objectives and timelines,
- Work closely with the vice president for advancement on a marketing/communications program that will increase private giving to Fitchburg State.
- Ensure the consistency of communications and branding across all university departments servicing both graduate and undergraduate populations.
- Determine how best to appropriate funding for the university’s many communications initiatives.
- Play a significant role in refining crisis and issues management strategies and responses.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and vision for a messaging and marketing strategy that advances Fitchburg State’s missions and goals.
- Plan and oversee the design and production of all marketing, public relations and advertising products.
- Direct the marketing, communications and public relations staff, and strategically coordinate with all university departments to plan and execute integrated marketing campaigns.
- Refine and maintain the university’s narrative, image and brand, and oversee its communication to all internal and external constituencies (e.g., students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, policy makers, and the media).
- Manage communications for crises and other unanticipated events.
- Aggressively promote the accomplishments of the university community.
- Work with the development office to create communications, public relations and marketing opportunities that support fundraising goals; with the enrollment management division to ensure excellence in all their marketing and public relations materials; and with Graduate and Continuing Education and Athletics to ensure that their marketing, messaging, advertising, and digital media efforts are in synch with other campus divisions.
- Participate in, and lead when necessary, planning for major university events and programs.
- Represent Fitchburg State at various internal and external events on the local, regional and statewide level.
- Candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with familiarity with digital and inbound marketing. An advanced degree is preferred, as is extensive knowledge and understanding of higher education.
- Candidates should have at least five years of progressively responsible experience in communications, marketing and/or external affairs.
- Requires outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead effective management teams.
- Experience with strategic and operational planning and budgeting.
Please visit the Fitchburg State University jobsite to apply at http://jobs.fitchburgstate.edu
Fitchburg State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.