Doubled social ad spending, 10% of total marketing budgets, predicted 12.9% increased spending on internet advertising — these are some of the stats that tell us that digital marketing is becoming more crucial part of business everyday and it should be a hint for you to consider changing career path. ref: 20 Tremendous Digital Marketing Stats and Facts
“A term digital marketing refers to number of techniques used to market products and services on internet through desktop and mobile platforms. Digital marketing has been changing over the years — it is not the same as it was in 90s or 00’s. As the use of digital devices has drastically increased, digital marketing has evolved as one of the key promotional tools for marketers.
What I mean when I say digital marketing — well, I mean lots of things: search engine optimization (SEO), content marketing, influencer marketing, content automation, campaign marketing, and e-commerce marketing, social media marketing, social media optimization, e-mail direct marketing, display marketing (feel free to contribute to the list in comment section).” ref: Wiki: Digital Marketing
So, where should you start?
1. Blogs — internet is a huge place and you can find anything you desire if you know the right keyword. So use Google to look for a specific topic you are interested in digital marketing. There are written hundreds of articles about on-going digital marketing trends everyday and there has been written thousands of posts how to dominate digital market. So it’s totally up to you how much time you want to devote to it, there is a sea of information waiting for you on blogs.
Some of the blogs you may want to follow:
2. Books — if you don’t feel like reading blog posts, you can try books. As they say, one good book is worth thousand blog posts. So if you are brave enough to take in an information in big chunks you may want to take a look at these books:
· Seo: SEO Marketing: 10 Proven Steps to Search Engine Optimization Traffic from Google (SEO Marketing Strategies, SEO Success Step-by-Step, Learn Search Engine Optimization, Guide to SEO Traffic) by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
· The Art of Digital Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Creating Strategic, Targeted, and Measurable Online Campaigns by Ian Dodson
· The Content Code: Six essential strategies to ignite your content, your marketing, and your business by Mark W. Schaefer
· Social Media Marketing by Tracy L. Tuten
· Email Marketing: This Book Includes Email Marketing Beginners Guide, Email Marketing Strategies, Email Marketing Tips & Tricks by Mr Eric J Scott
3. Online Schools — if you need a mentor, supervisor or guru who will be there to provide emotional and intellectual support to nurture your inner marketer you should consider this option. There are several good marketing academies which are run by marketing experts willing to share the knowledge.
· Lynda.com’s Marketing Tutorials
· Coursera’s Digital Marketing Specialization
· Tidom Review Inc Digital Marketing School
· Market Motive’s Digital Marketing Expert Pass
· Simplilearn’s Full Stack Digital Marketer Masters Program
4. Forums — you may think that in the presence of big social media networks the old-fashioned online community place such as forum is dead but it is not! Forums are still going strong and these are the very spots where digital marketing enthusiasts gather to chat, share tips and help out each other.
· Warrior Forum
· Wicked Fire
· Digital Point Forum
· Self-Starters Weekly Tips
5. College — if you are one of those people who think that old-school is always cooler than the new school, then consider applying for colleges that offer digital marketing courses. Personally, I don’t advocate colleges in general as I believe most of them provide out-dated teaching techniques as there is so much money involved in the business that everyone is trying to play safe and stick to the old ways. But if you really want to live on campus and kick it with academics, these are some of the schools that offer courses in digital marketing:
· University of Denver
· George Washington University
· Florida Atlantic University
· University of Missouri — St. Louis
· Baruch College
· Eastern Tennessee State University
see more: Digital Marketing Degrees
There is no doubt, it’s not easy to achieve excellence in digital marketing and it takes a huge amount of time and energy investment on your side. And even if you get to the level where you are considered to be an expert, you will still have to be in a study mode as the world of digital marketing is constantly changing — what works today may not work tomorrow. Anyway, good luck and have fun.