SEO helps you to get more visitors to your restaurant website.
The mere mention of those three small letters, SEO, can scare many restaurant managers.
The term search engine optimization (SEO) carries with it an aura of mystery that only a few people seem to be aware of.
In this article, we will look at SEO for restaurants and what we need to know about it. Let’s demystify the term and we’ll show you that there are things you can do to optimize your restaurant website.
Let’s briefly define what is SEO . SEO is use to measure online visibility of your restaurant’s website through organic strategies.
SEO include several technical and creative elements:
- Improve positioning in search results
- Drive traffic to your website
There are also other aspects in SEO, these can include the text on your website, the user experience and the way your site is structured.
Why does it matter?
If you want search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo and others to generate traffic to your website then you should care.
While social networks and paid ads can drive traffic to your website, search engines are the primary way users get to your website.
This is especially true for restaurants. Why?
Well, everyone needs to eat, and if they are in your city, your potential customers will be looking for a restaurant on the internet surely. The normal thing is that they look for your address, to see your menu and the telephone number of your restaurant.
This is the reason why SEO is important.
You’ll also know that search engines do their best to deliver relevant search results. If you have not tuned your SEO, you will not appear at the top of the search results or even on the first page.
Studies show that users do not go beyond the first five results on the first page. So, you can imagine what happens if you do not pay attention to SEO for your website.
Now, let’s look at some tips to improve your SEO.
First, your website should contain some basic information about your business.
- Above all, your address and your telephone number are important. This information should be located in the upper right or left of the web page. It is important that this is so in the desktop version of your website and also in the mobile version of your website. You can also insert in the footer and fundamentally include your data in the contact page. Also consider adding a Google map to your contact page.
- Professional quality photos
- Your menu — do not use a PDF menu or a menu that is a graphic, use text.
- User comments and testimonials — again, use only text, not images. Google loves reviews.
Incoming links from other websites like social networks can help in your SEO.
Best Practices for SEO
Once you have the basics of your restaurant website, make sure you pay attention to some of the best practices for SEO.
- Your website must be mobile-friendly. This is no longer negotiable, especially when it comes to Google.
- Build an easy to use website. This means having a forecast of the needs of your users in the same way you would in your restaurant.
- Pay attention to the navigation menu. Try it before launch with someone unfamiliar with your site to see if they work properly.
- The usability of your website is also important when it comes to SEO. For example, is navigation intuitive? Can users get to where they need to go without bogging down?
- Make sure your website loads quickly. Google is known for rewarding fast-loading websites and penalizing slow sites. Why? Because Google knows you’ve created a good user experience if your website loads quickly.
- Label your pages appropriately. Do you want a page that shows information such as about us, contact, reservations, menu, events, etc. Label each page correctly. Your goal is to have a clean and clearly marked site.
- Pay attention to the meta tags, each page needs its own title and description. If you are using an SEO plugin, make sure you fill out the keyword, title and description information.
Use keywords in your pages. For your photos, add alt and title.
- Adding new content often, having a blog is a good way to do this.
While this is not purely SEO on your website, it is absolutely necessary that you have a presence on Facebook with the help of facebook marketing, because quite possibly that is where most of your customers are.
In addition, you can link your website in your daily messages to drive traffic to your website and this can increase your positioning in the search engines.
When creating a business Facebook page, make sure you choose the right category (local business is perfect). You will then have to fill in the information completely with:
- A description
- Map your restaurant
- Your website, email, phone and address
- Your menu
Claim your Google+ Page
Finally, we can not forget Google+.
Google is the giant of the search engines. If you do not have a tab in Google, this is not going to look favorably at your restaurant’s website.
Google winks to websites with tokens on Google+. This means that Google is more likely to improve search results relative to Google+ pageless restaurants.
It’s easy to claim your listing. Do a search of your restaurant on Google or Google Maps. If you find that your restaurant is on Google, select “Manage this page” and sign in with a Google account. Then you can verify that you are the owner of the restaurant.
The verification can come in the form of a phone call in your restaurant or a postcard by mail.
If you do not see your restaurant listed, you can create a new tab from the Google platform.
You also have to check that your restaurant is in Google My Business. It is another place to provide Google with information that can then be used in Google Search, Maps and Google +.
Now that you have a basic foundation on SEO, you have everything you need to get started.
Remember to keep your website clean and easy to use. Update your website frequently with valuable, socially-shared, and readable content for better search results.
Do not create a website and then forget about it, this does not work. The website of your restaurant is something alive and so it must be often updated, this will also improve your SEO.
The purpose of your website is to meet the needs of your customers. To do this, they should be able to find it through the search engines of their choice.
Dive into the SEO of your website today and use Google Analytics to measure your success.
Do you have a great website? Is it easy to use and attractive to your visitors? If it is not, or you want a web page set up or update the one you have, contact us for a free consultation. We will make sure that your website works perfectly and that it is the centerpiece of your marketing.