I thought this:
- Intuit would be a good idea as a comparator for our product.
- researching comparators will be hard.
- we could make a first draft of Business Model Generation within one hour.
- Putting a new team member on a pip would be a good idea.
- I could do lots of homework when I’m sick at home.
I did this:
- I changed my mind from Intuit to Netflix because I thought it’s more relevant to our topic: uses algorithm and targets potential users of our product, while Intuit doesn’t.
- I found articles about Netflix’s business model within five minutes, which made me accomplish the exercise within half an hour.
- making first draft of Business Model Generation took us two hours in total, after making adjustments.
- I tried to figure out team dynamics, and it made me stuck between wanting to keep our ideal team and helping our new teammate to adjust.
- I couldn’t show up on our team meetings so I was using Google Hangouts. Working with my team was easy because I knew I could rely on my teammates, but every attempt to do my homework alone at home was a disaster, just made me more sleepy and I was very slow.
I learned this:
- It’s good to change my mind if the outcome of my efforts might be better.
- It’s a good idea to search first if somebody did the exercise before me. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Netflix turned out to be a very good example which gave us many ideas we could use in our BMC.
- You never know how long new assignments will take.
- Trying to make everyone happy isn’t always a good idea.
- There is no way to be effective with homework while having fever. Self care is the most important. Amazon Fresh has 14-day free trial, perfect for when you have a flu.
- I will put more thought into choosing comparators from the beginning.
- I will continue using shortcuts to be more efficient.
- I will give myself more time for new unknown assignments.
- I will focus more on how to make the team healthy, not how to make each team member happy.
- I will just let myself to rest. Now after writing this short blogpost I will take a nap and drink some more coconut water 🙂
This week… was originally published in The Creative Founder on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.