How to update Kodi 17.3 to Kodi 17.4 Krypton on Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV Box, PC, or Mac? The developers behind Kodi have just released a new update numbered 17.4. The new Kodi version brings in a bunch of improvements and bug fixed. From a online security point of view, it’s always best to keep your Kodi app up-to-date. In the tutorial below, you can find instructions on how to install the Kodi 17.4 update on any of your streaming devices.
Kodi 17.4 Update – What’s New
The new update does not differ much from the previous version. Some of the notable improvements include fixing potential crashing on both Windows, Linux and Android devices. FFmpeg has also been updated to 3.1.9. You can find a list of all fixes and improvements below.
- Potentially fix crashing on Windows due to an issue in Python
- Potentially fix crashing on Windows when enabling zeroconf
- Fix sporadic crash on Windows when installing or updating add-ons
- Fix issue for users with reverse proxies attempting to forward websockets.
- Fix possible issue if Linux distro uses system ffmpeg and cause black screen with 10-bit H.265
- Properly throttle scraping music information online to prevent overloading the provider
- Fix native keyboard on iOS 11
- Fix potential crash on Android O loading App icons
- Fix non showing Kodi banner on Android O
- Fix potential crash on Android with certain keymaps
- Fix wrong detection of VP6 and VP8 videocodec on Android
- Update FFmpeg to 3.1.9
- Set hard requirement to use FFmpeg 3.1.x only
- Fix for Hangup when viewing recording and pressing next/previous
- Fix merged scraped album type and label correctly with that derived from tags from music files
How to Install Kodi 17.4 Krypton Update?
It all comes down to which device you’re using Kodi on. In case you’re using a Fire Stick, use this tutorial to install or update your Kodi app to Kodi 17.4. If you have installed Kodi on an Android Smartphone, Tablet, or TV Box, you can update to the 17.4 version via Google Play as well. Windows 10 users can also download and install the new update using Windows Store. If you want to update your Kodi app using the official Kodi website, simply follow the steps below.
- First, head over to the official Kodi download page.
- From there, choose your operating system.
- Once the pop-up window shows up, choose ‘Recommended.
- Now click on the blue button next to ‘Release’.
- The Kodi 17.4 Krypton installation file will now begin to download.
- Once you’ve downloaded the file, all you have to do is open it to launch the installation process.
Best VPN for Kodi 17.4 Krypton in 2017
Illegal or pirated live streams on Kodi have been getting lots of bad publicity in the last couple of months. Copyright trolls in the UK, USA, Canada, and Australia have been cracking down on such streams. To avoid getting caught while streaming on Kodi, and getting a copyright infringement notice as a result, you have to encrypt your traffic and hide your IP address. By using virtual private network, you can browse the web anonymously. All you have to do is download and install a VPN app and then connect to a VPN server. Once done, your IP address is hidden and you get to take advantage of the following features.
- Unblock Geo-restricted Kodi Add-ons: There are a lot of Kodi addons that you can only use in certain regions. With VPN you can stream whichever addon you want, wherever you are.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Nobody, not even your ISP, can see what you are doing online.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to setup a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
From personal experience, IPVanish is the best VPN service you can use with Kodi. They have optimized their VPN apps to work better with Kodi add-ons and have a no-logs policy. Check out our reviewed list of the best Kodi VPNs in 2017 below.
How to Update Kodi 17.4 on Any Device – Wrap Up
While the new Kodi release doesn’t carry any major changes, we still advise you to download and install it. It’s the same case with any other app you might use on your computer, streaming device, or smartphone. Updates always tend to fix any potential security issues. Kodi 17.4 falls into that category.