How to install Kodi 17 Krypton on Apple TV? Among the reasons for Kodi’s immense popularity is its compatibility with a large variety of devices in the market. It is easily one of the most well known open source media players, and as a result, people prefer it over other platforms to stream their favourite TV, movies and live sporting events. For all our Apple users who’ve been experiencing problems dealing with Kodi, we thought we could put up a simple guide on how to install Kodi on Apple TV.
Don’t Risk It – Use VPN
Illegal or pirated streams via third-party Kodi addons and similar apps have been getting lots of publicity in the last couple of months. Copyright trolls in the UK, USA, Canada, and Australia have been cracking down on such streams. To avoid getting caught while streaming on Kodi, and getting a copyright infringement notice as a result, you have to encrypt your traffic and hide your IP address. By using virtual private network, you can browse the web anonymously. All you have to do is download and install a VPN app and then connect to a VPN server. Once done, your IP address is hidden and you get to take advantage of the following features.
- Unblock Geo-restricted Kodi Add-ons: There are a lot of Kodi addons that you can only use in certain regions. With VPN you can stream whichever addon you want, wherever you are.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Nobody, not even your ISP, can see what you are doing online.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to setup a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
From personal experience, IPVanish is the best VPN service you can use with Kodi. They have optimized their VPN apps to work better with Kodi add-ons and have a no-logs policy. Check out our reviewed list of the best VPNs in 2017 below.
Installing Kodi on Apple TV
Downloading Kodi directly on Apple TV isn’t possible since there’s no Kodi app on the Apple Store. The next best alternative would be installing Kodi on either your 4th or 2nd generation Apple TV. Here’s how to go about both models:
How to Install Kodi on Apple TV 4
You might find the whole process a bit long, but the instructions we have are simple and to the point. Let’s begin:
- First of all, you will need the following files:
- Xcode 7.2 or later (free)
- iOS App Signer utility for Mac (free)
- The latest Kodi .deb file for tvOS (free)
- Free Apple Developer account (Sign up here if you don’t have one)
- Start off by connecting your Apple TV 4 to Mac with a USB-C to USB-A cable.
- Launch Xcode and choose to“Create a new Xcode project“
- Navigate through Application>Single View Application>Next.
- Fill in the details for ‘new project’ and give it a product name, organisation name, and Bundle Identifier. click Next once you’re done,
- An error message will appear in the main Xcode window, stating that the software can’t find a “matching provisioning profile”. Click Fix Issue. (Sign in with your Apple ID if prompted)
- After, select Apple TV from the dropdown menu on the Xcode window.
- Open iOS App Signer app and from dropdown menu, click on “Signing Certificate”.
- Repeat the step for “Provisioning Profile” field and ensure the name is the same as the name of your Xcode project.
- You’ll then be asked for the .deb Kodi file, by the “Input File”. Select browse and navigate to the file you downloaded earlier. (Leave “App Display Name” field blank)
- Having filled all the fields, click “Start” for the iOS App Signer to create an IPA file to install on Kodi.
- While in Xcode, click Window>Devices>Apple TV and click on “+” button under Installed Apps.
- Search and click on the IPA file in the iOS App Signer app to install Kodi on your Apple TV 4th generation.
- That’s it. You should now be able to launch Kodi on your Apple TV 4.
How to Install Kodi on Apple TV 2
Coincidentally, installing Kodi on Apple TV 2 happens to be way simpler than installing it on 4. The only set back you’ll have to live with is that you won’t be able to install the latest version of Kodi.
Here’s how to install Kodi 17.3 Krypton on Apple TV 2:
- Enter this command on your Terminal: “[email protected].ADDRESS”
- Replace “YOUR.ATV2.IP.ADDRESS” with your actual Apple IP Address. (You could be asked to enter a password; the default is alpine)
- Go ahead and enter each of these commands in the following order:
apt-get install wget
wget -0- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add –
echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
echo “deb http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/atv2 ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2
After Apple TV reboots, the Kodi icon will appear on your Apple TV home screen. If you’re not very familiar with programming, make sure you’re keen with the commands you’ll be typing in in the Terminal. After this fairly short procedure, you should be able to watch all your top channels at your own comfort.
Can I Install Kodi on Apple TV 3?
Unfortunately, we haven’t found information on how to install Kodi on Apple TV 3. If and when this information is released, we’ll be sure to issue an update for all our readers.
Is it Possible To Install Kodi on Apple TV 1?
Installing Kodi on Apple TV 1 is also unfortunately not possible.
Conclusion on Installing Kodi on Your Apple TV
Beware that streaming your Kodi shows on your Apple TV using unofficial Kodi addons such as Exodus, SALTS, or Sportsdevil might draw unnecessary attention fromyour ISP or copyright trolls. To avoid this, subscribe to a reliable VPN service provider and ensure your privacy online is maintained.