How to setup a VPN on an Android TV Box in USA, Canada, Australia, UK or anywhere else in the world. The Kodi Android TV Box is a great tool to watch movies, TV shows, and live streams. You can download and install all sorts of streaming apps on it including Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer and many others. However, to get the most out of your Android TV Box, you need to install VPN on it. This not only allows you to hide your IP address, and encrypt your traffic, but also access geo-restricted apps that aren’t available in your region. In our latest guide, we illustrate how to install VPN on Android TV Box.
How to Install VPN on Android TV Box – Requirements
- Your Android TV Box.
- An Internet connection.
- A VPN account. I’d strongly recommend signing up with IPVanish because they’re VPN app is one of the few that actually work on Android TV Boxes. IPVanish also have a 7-day refund guarantee, just in case.
Compatible Android TV Boxes
I have tested this VPN install guide on the following Android TV Boxes. Keep in mind that this list is in no way exclusive i.e. you can also use these methods on other boxes not listed below.
- Mini M8S
- MXQ Pro
- MX3 Plus
- T957 Plus
- Q10 Pro
- Nvidia Shield
- Matricom G-Box Q2
- Razor Forge TV
- Google Nexus Player
How to Install VPN on Android TV Box – Method One
There are basically two ways to install VPN on any Android TV Box. In the first method, you get to hide your IP address on your Android TV box using Google Play Store.
- Launch your Android TV Box and open Google Play Store..
- Search for the ‘IPVanish’ app.
- Install the IPVanish app on your Android TV Box.
- Either click on ‘Open’ once the installation process is complete or go back to your Android TV Box homepage and launch the IPVanish app.
- Sign into the app using your IPVanish account which you have created earlier.
- Select your VPN server’s location from within the list. Click ‘Connect’.
- When the ‘Connection request’ box appears, click ‘OK’.
- You have now successfully encrypted your Android TV’s Internet connection.
- Press on your remote control’s home button. Next, launch Kodi or any other geo-restricted app.
How to Install VPN on Android TV Box – Tutorial Two
If you do not have access to Google Play Store on your Android TV Box for some reason, you can alternatively use the ES Explorer app to download the IPVanish. Follow these instructions.
- On your Android TV box, go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ -> ‘Developer Options.’
- Turn on ‘Allow apps from unknown sources.’
- Now, Launch the ES Explorer app.
- From the ES Explorer menu, go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Download Manager’ in the left-hand menu.
- Click on ‘+ New’ from the bottom menu.
- For ‘Path’, type https://thevpn.guru/ipvanish.apk and click ‘OK’.
- For ‘Name’, input ‘IPVanish’.
- Select ‘Download Now’
- The IPVanish installation file will now begin to download.
- Once the IPVanish apk file is downloaded, click on ‘Open file’ to install it on your Android TV.
- Go back to your Android TV Box home screen.
- Launch the IPVanish app.
- Sign in and connect to a VPN server of your choice.
Why Install VPN on Android TV Box?
Using VPN to mask your IP address on your Android TV Box has several benefits.
- You get to change your Google Play Store region with VPN. Thus, you can download official Android apps which are not available in your region.
- VPN also allows you to unblock geo-restricted channels on Android TV Boxes. Watch BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO GO, ITV, Discovery, ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC, Hotstar, and many more.
- You get to download torrents anonymously to your Android TV Box.
- All your Kodi streaming activities cannot be traced back to your IP. Safely watch the latest movies, TV shows, and live streams via third-party Kodi addons.
- Hiding your IP on Android TV box is crucial, especially if you live in a country where Kodi pre-loaded boxes can be considered illegal.
Best VPN for Android TV Boxes
It can be quite difficult to choose between all the VPN services you find online. All of them promise to be the fastest and most secure. However, IPVanish is the only VPN provider which has compatible VPN apps for Android TV boxes. This is the main reason why they are crowned as number one in our list of the best VPN for Android TV Boxes.
How to Install VPN on Android TV Box – Conclusion
As you can see from the guide above, installing VPN on your Android TV does not require any technical know-how. In fact, the whole process does not differ much from installing any other Android app. Therefore, you have no excuse not to hide your IP and encrypt all of your Android TV Box Internet traffic, especially if you live in countries where ISPs constantly send out copyright infringement notices to their users. Just in case you need further help while installing IPVanish on your Android TV Box, leave a comment below and I will help you out.