How to stream Canadian TV channels and TV shows while travelling abroad? Canada has its fair share of online streaming services. CBC, CraveTV, TSN, or Shomi are some of the most popular VOD platforms that Canadians watch on their Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV and other streaming devices. The problem is that these channels are geoblocked i.e. you cannot watch live or on-demand content on them while overseas. Is it possible to bypass georestrictions and unblock Canadian TV in USA, UK, Australia and elsewhere outside Canada? The answer is ‘Yes’. What you need is either VPN or Smart DNS proxies. Read on for more info.
How to Watch Canadian TV Abroad with VPN
Geoblocked sites and TV channels are able to detect your current location by looking at your IP address. Everytime you go online your Internet service provider grants you an IP address which is necessary for you to send and receive data while browsing the web. This IP address allows the apps and sites you visit to roughly estimate where you currently reside. So if you attempt to watch CBC while abroad for instance, you won’t be able to do so because you don’t have a Canadian IP address. Luckily there is a workaround. You can use VPN, or virtual private networks, to hide your real IP address and appear online using an IP address from a different country. Follow the instructions below to unblock Canadian TV channels overseas using VPN:
- First of all, sign up with a VPN service. Make sure that whichever VPN service provider you end up registering with has multiple VPN servers in Canada.
- Now that you have created your VPN account, download and install the VPN app from the VPN provider’s website.
- Launch the app and connect to a VPN server in the Canada.
- You now appear to be browsing the web using an Canadian IP address.
- This approach allows you to unblock all Canadian channels anywhere overseas including Shomi, CraveTV, and CBC.
While I do recommend using ExpressVPN to watch Canadian TV in USA, mainly due to their 30-day refund guarantee, you can also use other VPN services such as the ones in the table below. The best thing about using VPN to watch Canadian streaming services abroad is that you get to watch your favorite TV shows via official Canadian TV channels in HD.
How to Stream Canadian TV Channels outside Canada with Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS is the other solution you can use to bypass regional restrictions. Unlike VPN, Smart DNS does not provide you with a new IP address when browsing the web. Your Internet traffic will also not be encrypted when you setup Smart DNS on your device. Still, if all you care about is unblocking your favorite channels overseas, Smart DNS is a viable option you can turn to.
- Smart DNS is compatible with all your devices. You can install Smart DNS proxies on your PC, Mac, FireStick, Apple TV, Android, Smart TV, iPhone, or iPad.
- The channels you get to unblock using Smart DNS largely depend on which Smart DNS proxy service you are using. Different Smart DNS proxy services support unblocking different sets of channels.
- In case your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies, Smart DNS might not work properly for you.
- One Smart DNS configuration allows you to unblock streaming channels from different regions simultaneously i.e. you could watch UK’s BBC iPlayer and American’s History channel using one Smart DNS setup while abroad.
- You will not lose access to your local sites and apps when using Smart DNS.
If you’re looking for a Smart DNS proxy service to unblock Canadian TV channels like CBC, Crave TV, or City TV outside Canada, you can give Unlocator a try. They offer new users a free 7-day trial. They also have comprehensive setup guides and videos for all devices and routers.
Best Canadian Streaming Services
- CBC News
- Crave TV
- Canadian Amazon Prime Video
- Canadian Netflix
- HGTV Canada
- Discovery Channel Canada
- Global TV
- Acorn TV
Best Canadian TV Shows
- Orphan Black
- Masterchef Canada
- Big Brother Canada
- Trailer Park Boys
- Saving Hope
- Murdoch Misteries
- Real Housewives of Toronto
How to Watch Canadian TV Channels while Abroad – Conclusion
Traveling abroad can be a difficult experience, especially if you’re away from your family and friends for long periods of time. Watching TV channels from back home can help make things easier. With the help of ExpressVPN and similar services you can unblock and watch all your favorite Canadian TV shows anywhere in the world.