HGTV is an American channel that specializes in how-to TV shows related to home improvement, gardening, crafts, and remodeling. HGTV is available in the United States as well as Canada. Unfortunately for US expats living abroad, the popular channel is geo-restricted abroad. In order to bypass regional restrictions, and subsequently unblock geoblocked websites abroad, you have to use VPN or Smart DNS proxies. Learn how to watch HGTV outside US on PC, Mac, Android, or iOS in the guide below.
How to Unblock HGTV outside US with VPN
Regardless of whether you wish to watch live or on-demand content on HGTV, you won’t be able to do so outside USA or Canada, even after you sign into the channel using your cable subscription. This is because of geo-restrictions which prevent expats from watching their favorite streaming channels while traveling abroad. To bypass regional restrictions and unblock geoblocked sites while travelling overseas, you have to use VPN. A VPN basically is an online tool you can use to keep all your private data secure while browsing the web. By connecting to a VPN server, you can encrypt all of your Internet traffic. Thus, keeping it away from potential prying eyes. But that’s not the only benefit you get out of using VPN.
- Unblock Geoblocked Channels: There many streaming services that can only be accessed from certain countries. With VPN you can bypass regional restrictions.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Add an extra layer of privacy and security to all your online activities.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to setup a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
In terms of best VPN service you can use to unblock American channels overseas, ExpressVPN is hands-down the best. They have multiple VPN servers located in the United States. They also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. So you can try them out safe in the knowledge that you’re not taking any risks. Here are our favorite VPN service providers.
How to Watch HGTV outside US or Canada with Smart DNS Proxies
Smart DNS is the other solution you can use to bypass regional restrictions. Unlike VPN, Smart DNS does not provide you with a new IP address when browsing the web. Your Internet traffic will also not be encrypted when you setup Smart DNS on your device. Still, if all you care about is unblocking your favorite channels overseas, Smart DNS is a viable option you can turn to.
- Smart DNS is compatible with all your devices. You can install Smart DNS proxies on your PC, Mac, FireStick, Apple TV, Android, Smart TV, iPhone, or iPad.
- The channels you get to unblock using Smart DNS largely depend on which Smart DNS proxy service you are using. Different Smart DNS proxy services support unblocking different sets of channels.
- In case your ISP uses DNS hijacking or transparent proxies, Smart DNS might not work properly for you.
- One Smart DNS configuration allows you to unblock streaming channels from different regions simultaneously i.e. you could watch UK’s BBC iPlayer and American’s HGTV channel using one Smart DNS setup while abroad.
- You will not lose access to your local sites and apps when using Smart DNS.
If you’re looking for a Smart DNS proxy service to watch HGTV outside USA or Canada, you can give Unlocator a try. They offer new users a free 7-day trial. They also have comprehensive setup guides and videos for all devices and routers.
Best TV Shows on HGTV
- House Hunters
- Fixer Upper
- Property Brothers
- Hawaii Life
- Flip or Flop
- Flee Market Flip
- Beachfront Bargain Hunt
How to Watch HGTV Channel Anywhere – Final Thoughts
If you’re into DIY shows, HGTV simply is a must-have channel. Just in case you’re currently living outside the USA or Canada, you can always resort to VPN or Smart DNS to unblock your favorite channels anywhere in the world.